Since the outset SESAR has supported long-term and innovative research through Work Package E. Research activities that are not part of ‘mainstream’ SESAR development work packages have been funded with more than 75 organisations, universities and research centres benefiting. WP-E has operated through Research Networks, Research Projects and a PhD Programme. Two SESAR Research Networks have been established to date: ComplexWorld – Mastering Complex Systems Safely, and HALA! – Higher Automation Levels in ATM. Preparations are now underway to increase investment in exploratory research through the new SESAR2020 programme.
The SESAR Innovation Days have been the main forum for dissemination of WP-E results. It will continue to be the flagship event for innovation into the future, allowing interaction with the wider ATM research community and industry representatives. SESAR Innovation Days 2014 will be hosted by Universidad Politécnica de Madrid, Spain from 25th to 27th November 2014. Unlike other scientific events in ATM research, the SESAR Innovation Days focus explicitly on long-term and innovative research.
Call for Contributions
Researchers from research institutions, universities, airlines, air traffic service providers and industry are invited to submit papers (limited to 8 pages) presenting the results of their long-term or innovative research within the areas of interest listed below. Papers will be evaluated based on the innovative nature of the ideas, as well as the approach and methods applied. Areas of interest are:
- ATM system architecture and system design
- Understanding and improving the ATM innovation process and innovation lifecycle
- Human factors and safety in a highly automated environment
- Paving the way to full automation
- Designing resilient ATM systems
- Uncertainty, applied modelling and optimization techniques
- Mastering complex ATM systems safely
- CNS technical enablers
- Data science and information management
- Application of economics to facilitate a paradigm shift in ATM
- Enabling change, including legal and regulatory aspects.
The submission deadline is 22nd September and notification of acceptance will be made by 23rd October. Download the Call for Contributions here
For all enquiries please contact firstname.lastname@example.org